MIXED MEDIA VISUAL ARTIST
- Corcoran School of Arts and Design at The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., May 2015, MAAE (Master of Art in Art Education). Thesis: The South Side Community Art Center: How Its Art Collection Can Be Used as an Education Resource
- Howard University, Washington, D.C. Printmaking BFA (Bachelor of Fine Art) Magna Cum Laude, May 1979. Thesis: Printmaking portfolio
- 06/2016 Alumni Fellow, Art Cart: Honoring the Legacy, Corcoran College of Art + Design, Washington, DC
- 08/2013 Two-year merit based Graduate Fellowships, Corcoran School of Arts + Design.
- 08/2013 Two-year Graduate Grant, Corcoran School of Arts + Design
- 02/2009 Five month Keyholders Residency, Pyramid Atlantic Art Center
- 05/2015 Faculty Award, Corcoran School of Arts + Design. Given by faculty members annually for outstanding academic performance.
- 03/2006 Commission, Art Walk Exhibition, D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities. Awarded to D.C. area artists to create large scale public art works to display in a prominent location in the district.
- 04/2002 APEX Award for Publication Excellence for cover and layout of Bright Futures series of books published by Georgetown University, National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health.
- 05/2001 APEX Award for Publication Excellence for cover and layout of Bright Futures series of books published by Georgetown University, National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health.
- 04/2000 Paterson Prize for Books for Young People by The Poetry Center at Passaic County Community College for Grandma’s Purple Flowers written and illustrated by Adjoa Burrowes
- 05/2000 Pick of the List award by the American Booksellers Association for Grandma’s Purple Flower, illustrated by Adjoa Burrowes
- 05/1996 Best Children’s Book Winner award by Child Magazine for My Steps, illustrated by Adjoa Burrowes
- 06/1996 Choices Award by Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CBC) for My Steps, illustrated by Adjoa Burrowes
- 2020 The Studio Visit, Adjoa Burrowes interview, June 19, 2020 http://thestudiovisit.com/adjoa-burrowes/
- 2020 Teaching Artist Podcast, Episode 18 Adjoa Burrowes: Telling Your Own Story, July 20, 2020 https://www.teachingartistpodcast.com/episode-18-adjoa-burrowes/
- 2017 Revise The Psalm, Work Celebrating the Writing of Gwendolyn Brooks, Edited by Quraysh Ali Lansana and Sandra Jackson-Opoku, page 290, 386, color insert.
- 2015 UNVeiled@Corcoran, Adjoa Burrowes: Taking Art Out of Its Box, by Fabiola Joubert.
- 2015 Virginia Commonwealth University, Arte 780, Critical Conversations on Art Practice, Theory and Research, Artist Adjoa Burrowes Conducts Sculpture Workshop
- Burrowes, A., (2015, March 28) Eye to Eye: Designing Dynamic Collaborations Between Art Teachers and Teaching Artists. Roundtable presentation at the annual meeting of the National Art Education Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Burrowes, A., (2015, March) A Way Home. Presentation at the South Side Community Art Center. Chicago, IL.
- Burrowes, A., (2014, October) Freedom Prints. Presentation at Corcoran School of Art and Design, Washington, DC.
- Burrowes, A., (2014, March) Book Appeal: The Lure of the Book in the Art Practice of Adjoa Burrowes. Paper presented at Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL.Burrowes, A., (2013, July) The Language of Books. Paper presented at Biblioteca de San Miguel Allende, San Miguel Allende, Mexico.